Friday, November 26, 2010

A Day For Giving Thanks

So I am a day late; I was going to post last night but I ended up passing out around 9:30 and slept until 10:30 this morning! I really needed that!

Yesterday was great! I helped my mom prepare what little she had left to do for lunch by carving both the turkeys up and arranging them on the platter. I really wish I had remembered to take some pictures for ya'll, but when your hands are covered in turkey fat you aren't really thinking about touching your camera. But it was beautiful thanks to my lovely sister Lauren. She had some red tip lettuce that she put all along the edge of the platter (the platter was a big peuter turkey) and then I cut the breasts and staggered them at the back and put all the dark meat at the front. Once the turkey was on we took fresh cranberries and put them in the center and along the edges for decoration. It honestly looked more like a Christmas turkey platter than a Thanksgiving platter because of the red and green, but regardless, it was gorgeous. Around 1:30 our guests began arriving. Mr. Denise Leake and the Carroll family came over for lunch. We had a wonderful time of fellowship over plates of turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beans, sweet potato casserole, yeast rolls, strawberry congealed salad and cranberry congealed salad.

After lunch we had some coffee while continuing our fellowship and transitioning in to worship. Both Mr. Denise and Mr. Phil had brought their guitars so my father and I got ours out and we played some worship songs and sang and then watched a few Loui Giglio videos that my parents had never seen.

Then of course, you can't blog about Thanksgiving and NOT talk about dessert! Around 6:45 we had some dessert. Mrs. Carroll brought two delicious pumpkin pies and Lauren made an absolutely scrumptious apple pie that we devoured with vanilla ice cream. Then there was a pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing (my personal favorite). And of course coffee for anyone that wanted some.

All in all it was a day that made me realize again how blessed I really am. I have only been home once this semester and I loved getting to spend time with my siblings. I can't believe how big the younger ones have gotten in just a few short months. I have a God who has rescued and redeemed me from an eternal death and parents who love me more than I can imagine. The Lord has provided  money so that I can have an education and during my time at school continues to bless me financial and with wonderful christian friends. I am healthy. That alone is one of the things that I think I take for granted the most. Just waking up every morning being in perfect health is such a blessing from the Lord.

I guess I will end there before I start rambling. Until next time. =)

1 comment: