Thursday, January 27, 2011

Future Leadership

So as you know, I have been praying that God would draw me closer to Him. But recently I have also been wanting to get involved in an area of consistent service.

 It didn't have to be leadership, but I wanted to do something like help out with the children's ministry at FBC Russellville or something of that nature. One of my problems though has been that I don't have the time to be responsibly involved in all of the areas of service that I have open to me. I have heard people say that you can never serve too much. I disagree.

If you are attempting to plug into 5 or 6 different areas of service AND take 18 hours, then something is going to suffer. And I also don't think that you will be fulfilling your duties within those service areas effectively because you are always thinking about the next thing you have to do or how much homework you have. And so not only will your service be a halfway job but so will your academics.

So this past Tuesday at Fuel, the midweek worship service here at Tech, I was talking to Darrel Ray, the BCM director, and as I was leaving he said, "Come see me sometime this week." Well this afternoon I felt like I needed to stop studying for a while and just relax my brain so I walked over to the BCM to talk to him.

And first I feel like I need to explain something. I am a part of a weekly bible study called Freshlife. It is a freshman bible study led by the previous year's freshmen with some general guidance by the BCM leaders. It has been THE single biggest blessing to me this year here at college. Last semester I told Darrel that I am interested in helping lead one of the Freshlife groups next year and he said that that was great and we would talk more about it this semester. So when he said for me to come see him I was assuming that is what he wanted to talk about.

Well I got over there and we chatted for a while and then started talking about next years Freshlife. And then he threw me this curve ball. "Evan, I want you to be the guy that heads everything up for next year's Freshlife." Whoa! Okay, this is not at all what I was expecting. Before I responded I thought about how I have been praying lately and decided that it was pretty obvious where God wanted me to be serving this semester.

Now I tell you this for two reasons. Firstly, I would covet your prayers as I start meeting with the current Freshlife leaders and discussing what worked and did not work this year and as I begin to have to make decisions about what next year will look like. Secondly, I would ask you to pray for humility for me. It is a huge honor and responsibility for me to be selected by Darrel out of about 100 students to be the one that takes over next year and I don't want that to go to my head.

I am still not exactly sure what all this will entail yet, but I am really excited to see what God does next year in the BCM and Freshlife, and can only pray that he uses this to grow and teach me.

One thing I have learned once again is this. We CANNOT put limiters on God. Now this is what I mean by that. So often when we pray we will say something like this, "God if I am supposed to have this car then let me be able to get it for under so and so amount." Or, "God if I am not supposed to be involved in this then give me this sign." I am really bad at that. Recently God has been directing me on big decisions in the completely opposite way that I prayed He would.

Last semester I really wanted to get involved in the Fuel worship band and He just didn't allow that to happen. I now see why. If I had gotten involved in it then I would not have time to be able to head up the Freshlife groups next semester.

Anyway. I just wanted to share this learning experience with ya'll and tell you how excited I am about it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment